Guy Walters is a British historian, TV presenter, and journalist. He is the author and editor of nine books on the Second World War, both fiction and non-fiction.
Delve into WWII history at Colditz and Stalag Luft III with Guy Walters
Immerse yourself in Second World War history on this fascinating trip with historian, TV presenter, and journalist Guy Walters.
On this exclusive expert-led tour you'll be visiting locations steeped in wartime history.
Stalag Luft III was a Luftwaffe-run prisoner-of-war camp which held Allied air force personnel. It was made famous by the Great Escape, which was brought to life on screen in the 1963 film starring Steve McQueen. Guy will be telling the true story of the Great Escape, and will show you around the camp as well as the routes taken by many of the escapers.
You will also spend a day at Colditz Castle, the imposing Renaissance stronghold which was converted into a high security prison during WWII. The story of Colditz is a stirring example of the plight and pluck of the prisoners of war, who were famed for their heroic escape plans.
It's hard to think of two more iconic locations associated with Second World War heroism and inventiveness. During the course of this tour Guy will bring to life the incredible stories of the prisoners-of-war who were held in these camps.
"I am REALLY looking forward to returning to Colditz and Stalag Luft III. It's hard to think of two more iconic locations associated with Second World War heroism and plucky inventiveness, and during the course of the tour I shall really be bringing the stories of the prisoners-of-war to life. As well as talking about the escapes and all the exciting bits, I think it's important that we remind ourselves just how tough life was for these poor men, who were trapped behind castle walls and barbed wire for many years. I cannot wait to see you there, and I promise we shall have a great time, not only immersing ourselves in the history, but also in fine food and drink - and great company!" -Guy Walters
As well as talking about the exciting escape plots, this tour will also provide an opportunity to reflect on just how tough life was for the prisoners, who were trapped behind castle walls and barbed wire for many years.
This trip will also take you to Dresden and its Museum of Military History where you can deepen your knowledge of the defining conflict of the 20th century.
Meet our special guest
Guy Walters is an historian, TV presenter, and journalist, who has written around a dozen books that have been published all over the world. These include The Real Great Escape - a definitive account of the legendary breakout - and the novel The Colditz Legacy.
Reasons to book
Meet Guy Walters
Explore Colditz Castle
Your expert guide
- Benefit from the services of an expert tour manager throughout the trip
- Stay for four nights in two stylish and comfortable four-star hotels
- Enjoy four breakfasts, two packed lunches and three evening meals
- Travel on board a 49-seat executive coach with professional driver
- Guy Walters will accompany you on the tour
- Return flights from London**
Day1Arrive in ŻagańZagan, Poland
Today you will meet your tour group at Heathrow Terminal 5, and travel to Berlin Brandenburg Airport.
Here you will be picked up in your executive coach and travel to Żagań, Poland. The journey takes around two hours and you will stop for lunch on the way. Once in Żagań you'll have a guided tour of the fascinating Stalag Luft III museum before arriving at the four star Pałac Wiechlice and checking into your ensuite room.
This evening Guy will give a talk on The Great Escape in advance of your tour tomorrow, after which you'll enjoy dinner at the hotel.
Day2Tour of Stalag Luft IIIZagan, Poland
After breakfast, you'll depart from the hotel by coach for a ten minute drive to reach Stalag Luft III for your guided tour. You will also visit Żagań railway station - where many of the Great Escapers boarded trains to take them around the Third Reich. A packed lunch is included today.
After recharging with lunch you will take a tour of the area surrounding Stalag Luft III, including the impressive Great Escape Memorial in Żagań.
This evening you will return to the hotel for dinner.
After breakfast you'll check out of the hotel and follow the routes many of the Great Escapers took when they were on the run. This part of the trip will take around three hours. By lunch, we will arrive in Gorlitz where you'll visit the Gestapo HQ where many of the recaptured escapers were interrogated. Enjoy lunch at your own leisure in Gorlitz (lunch not included).
After lunch it's on to Chemnitz, where you'll check in to your four-star Hotel Chemnitz.
Before dinner this evening Guy will give another fascinating talk, this time about Colditz and its history, to prepare you for tomorrow's visit.
After the talk you will enjoy dinner at the hotel.
After breakfast you'll head to Colditz, around an hour's drive away, where you shall enjoy an in-depth tour of the iconic castle and the surrounding areas. A packed lunch is provided today, after which you can look round the fascinating museum of Colditz and East German memorabilia.
Today you'll travel to Dresden, an hour's drive away, where you'll visit the Museum of Military History and the Frauenkirche, a beautiful Lutheran church which was reconstructed in 1992 after being destroyed in the firebombing of Dresden. You will have some free time to explore Dresden, enjoy lunch (not included), shopping and sightseeing.
After your visit to Dresden you'll travel an hour and 30 minutes to Berlin to catch your flight home.
Chateau Wiechlice, Szprotawa
Surrounded by beautiful grounds and a large vineyard, Wiechlice offers en-suite rooms with classic design interiors, wooden furniture, free Wi-Fi and flat screen TVs. The hotel provides a spa and wellness centre, with a swimming pool and sauna which are free for guests to use. The hotel is also home to a library, wine cellar, archery and golf driving range. Guests can enjoy dinner in the hotel restaurant and relax in the bar in the evenings.
CO56 Hotel Chemnitz, Chemnitz
Located in the centre of Chemnitz, Hotel Chemnitz offers spacious rooms with stunning views over the old town, and a convenient location so close to the city center. The hotel provides free Wi-Fi, air-conditioning and flat screen TVs. The hotel also has a restaurant and bar where guests can relax in the evenings.
Brought to you by
Our travel partner TS Tours Ltd which specialises in bespoke and expert-led tours, is working in partnership with In The Footsteps, a leading battlefield tour operator specialising in tailor-made tours to battlefields around the world.
For general TS Tours information, click here.
To view TS Tours in partnership with In The Footsteps’ supplier’s terms and conditions click here.
* From price is FOR SUBSCRIBERS, per person, based on two people sharing a room, subject to availability. Price and itinerary correct at time of print but may be subject to change. Single supplement £135pp. Deposit 20% plus flight cost. Not suitable for people with mobility issues. ** £200pp can be deducted if passengers make their own flight arrangements. Local charges such as tourist tax may apply. In the case of unforeseen circumstances, expert(s) may be substituted, and any expert-led events may be subject to change. Expert(s) will not join you for your full trip duration unless otherwise stated. Travel insurance is not included but required for most of our overseas trips, and should be taken out at time of booking. Images used may not reflect your actual tour experience. This holiday may be sold through other selected brands. Tour is operated by and subject to the booking conditions of TS Travel Limited (ATOL bonded). Full cancellation terms available at https://tstours.co.uk/assets/tandc.pdf
* From price is FOR ALL OTHER TRAVELLERS, per person, based on two people sharing a room, subject to availability. Price and itinerary correct at time of print but may be subject to change. Single supplement £135pp. Deposit 20% plus flight cost. Not suitable for people with mobility issues. ** £200pp can be deducted if passengers make their own flight arrangements. Local charges such as tourist tax may apply. In the case of unforeseen circumstances, expert(s) may be substituted, and any expert-led events may be subject to change. Expert(s) will not join you for your full trip duration unless otherwise stated. Travel insurance is not included but required for most of our overseas trips, and should be taken out at time of booking. Images used may not reflect your actual tour experience. This holiday may be sold through other selected brands. Tour is operated by and subject to the booking conditions of TS Travel Limited (ATOL bonded). Full cancellation terms available at https://tstours.co.uk/assets/tandc.pdf