Matt is an author and historian of the medieval period, with a particular interest in the Wars of the Roses and Richard III. He has written biographies of Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine, Henry III, Richard Duke of York, and Richard III.
Tour Britain's Royal Palaces and hear from a royal historian
Get a glimpse of how the Royal Family live on this exclusive two-night tour around some of Britain's most iconic and lavish palaces. Visit St George's Chapel, Hampton Court Palace, the Tower of London and Westminster Abbey, before a very special behind-the-scenes tour of the State Apartments at Windsor Castle.
Author and historian Matt Lewis will travel with your group during this tour, and will give a talk about the history of the coronation ceremony, going back to medieval times. Matt Lewis is a medieval historian whose books include biographies of King Stephen & Empress Matilda, Henry II & Eleanor of Aquitaine, Henry III, and Richard III. He has also written accounts of the Wars of the Roses, presents History Hit's Gone Medieval podcast and has appeared in several documentaries.
"We loved all of it, but Windsor Castle blew me away."
- October 2022 Guest
Reasons to book
Meet Matt Lewis
St George's chapel
Hampton Court Palace
Your expert guide
- Two nights' bed and breakfast at the four-star Talbot Ripley Hotel in Surrey
- Set menu dinner at the hotel restaurant on your second night
- Exclusive talk with Matt Lewis
- Visit St George's Chapel***
- Private, after-hours tour of Windsor Castle and a glass of English sparkling wine
- London palaces tour including Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace exterior and the Tower of London and all admission fees
- Coach transfers
- Services of a tour manager throughout.
This short three-day tour gives you a great overview of the most important Royal palaces across London. There is a lot to see and do in three days, so be prepared for a busy schedule! Day one of this trip is particularly fast paced and we would recommend to those coming from further afield to arrive the night before. Our reservations team can assist you with booking this pre-night.
Day1Windsor and St George's ChapelWindsor, United Kingdom
Arrive at the Talbot Hotel, Ripley at lunchtime and drop your bags off, ready to leave the hotel at 1:30 pm for your transfer to Windsor. You will have the opportunity to visit St George's Chapel (subject to the chapel being open), where the late Queen was laid to rest before being transferred to the King George VI Memorial Chapel. Spend the afternoon exploring Windsor and enjoy an early dinner (not included). In the evening, you'll enjoy a private tour of the State apartments with a glass of English sparkling wine before returning to the hotel.
Day2Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace and National GalleryCity of Westminster, United Kingdom
Today you'll enjoy a day in London starting with a tour of Westminster Abbey (including entrance fee), a World Heritage Site with over 1,000 years of history. Traditionally the place for Royal coronations, weddings and burials, every British monarch since King Harold and William the Conqueror in 1066 has been crowned here and it has been the location for 17 Royal weddings, including Prince William and Kate Middleton's in 2011. From Westminster you'll enjoy a guided walk to Buckingham Palace for an exterior view and along The Mall to Trafalgar Square before enjoying lunch at your leisure (not included). Afternoon visit to the wonderful National Gallery before returning to your hotel in time to freshen up for this evening's dinner and talk. This evening enjoy a welcome drink before Matt Lewis joins you for an exclusive talk about the history of the coronation ceremony, which dates back to medieval times.
Day3The Tower of London and Hampton Court PalaceHampton Court Palace, United Kingdom
This morning you'll visit the Tower of London, established by William Conqueror in 1066 and still one of the UK's most iconic buildings. In the afternoon you'll visit Hampton Court Palace. Dating back to 1515, it was commissioned by Cardinal Wolsey, who later gifted it to Henry VIII and is one of only two of his palaces still in existence. After time for lunch at the palace (not included) you'll then be transferred back to the hotel to check-out and return home.
The Talbot Inn
Historic pub, hotel and restaurant on the high street in Ripley
In the heart of the pretty Surrey village of Ripley just under five minutes' drive from RHS Gardens Wisley, The Talbot is a historic coaching inn converted into a four-star hotel with many period features from its 500 year history.
The rooms offer a blend of traditional and contemporary facilities, with solid oak furniture complementing many original features of the 15th century building.
Conveniently located just 30 minutes from central London, The Talbot has 43 en-suite bedrooms, a restaurant and bar serving artisan pizzas as well as classic British dishes.
Brought to you by
For general information, click here.
To view TS Tours as agent for Travel Editions’ supplier’s terms and conditions click here.
* From price is per person, based on two people sharing a room, subject to availability. Price and itinerary correct at time of print but may be subject to change. Single supplement £90pp. Deposit £75pp. Local charges such as tourist tax may apply. **One copy per booking. ***Subject to the chapel being open. In the case of unforeseen circumstances, expert(s) may be substituted, and any expert-led events may be subject to change. Expert(s) will not join you for your full trip duration unless otherwise stated. Travel insurance is not included and should be taken out at time of booking. Images used may not reflect your actual tour experience. This holiday may be sold through other selected brands. Tour is operated by and subject to the booking conditions of Travel Editions Group Ltd, ABTA V3120 and TS Travel Limited (ATOL bonded).